Hair loss around the edges is a common problem among women, especially black women. This happens for various reasons, such as the desire for fabulous braids, beautiful weaves, color treatments, and up dos. More and more women are struggling with hair loss issues around the hairline. If you have realized that your thinning edges are increasingly becoming more sparse, I bring you some good news!
Here are some tips that can help you maintain or regrow your edges if your hairline is already receding.
1. By all means avoid using extensions and weaves in every waking moment that you have. Allow your hair to breathe by giving it some break between weaving and wearing those extensions.
2. If you decide to use extensions, avoid picking the hair on the edges tiny, and it should not be tight. Let your hair stylist have this information before hand. If they do not listen to you, it is time to stand and walk away. Failure to do this will result in your hair walking away from your edges.
3. If you have lost considerable amount of hair already, completely avoid extensions for a period not less than 6 months. Then, form a habit of mixing castor oil and coconut oil and massaging it on the areas that you are trying to regrow hair. With time, your hairline will start growing back.
4. Lay off caps, elastic headgears, turbans, and hats that harshly rubs around your edges. If it is a must for you to wear one of this regularly, put on a plastic cap first.
Besides these hair care practices that can help restore your edges, there some other options that can easily be incorporated in your hair regimen.
1. Rosemary oil mixed with a carrier oil has a reputation of increasing flow of blood, and thereby promoting hair growth.
2. Peppermint oil mixed with a carrier oil is great for providing a cooling effect to the scalp, removing dandruff, and purifying the scalp. It also increases flow of blood, and therefore serves the same purpose as rosemary oil.
3. The use of coconut oil helps in revitalizing and exfoliating dead skin tissues from your scalp, which in turn promotes hair re-growth.
4. Castor oil is another important oil which has the power to cleanse toxins and impurities from the scalp and then stimulate the growth of hair. It also moisturizes dry and brittle looking hair, while nourishing and thickening the hair.