What are hair follicles? They are small sacs that are lined with your skin cells. Let us go a little bit deeper to gather a better perception of hair follicles. Normally, oil glands release sebum into these sacs, which then act as a protectant and a lubricant for your hair. Apparently, the cells enter the sac and get packed together upon, which they are pushed our scalp resulting in hair. The hair shaft, which is the part of the hair that you see is made of keratin. Keratin is usually in the form of dead protein. (Click here to learn more about the hair follicle anatomy.)
Hair follicles are prone to clogging, which can lead to skin problems. If your hair follicles are healthy, it is a clear indicator of healthy skin as they have a considerable positive impact on the epidermis. If you have already started seeing a little more hair on your comb, then it is time you found a way to enhance the health of your hair follicles in order to experience thicker and healthier hair.
This means that the health of your hair is dependent on how healthy your hair follicles are. Consider the following tips to help you strengthen your hair follicles.
1. Make sure to eat foods that contain iron such as beans, legumes, green vegetables, lean red meat, and take iron supplements. Iron is responsible for carrying oxygen to your hair follicles. Note that lack of oxygen can make your hair follicles weak.
2. Include Zinc in your diet, which is mostly found in meat and seafood. Zinc plays an important role in strengthening hair follicles, since it binds proteins, leading to a stronger strand of hair. Additionally, it supports the oil glands that are responsible for protecting your hair. Aim at consuming 11 mg daily, since too much of it can interfere with the effective absorption of other minerals that are critical for the overall health of your hair.
3. Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday to assist hair growth as well as strength. Water is very important for the development of all the body parts and that include hair growth.
4. Consuming high protein foods such as turkey, eggs, and chicken will also enhance hair follicle health.
5. Include Vitamins A, B, C, and E in your diet by eating a huge variety of vegetables and fruits as well as healthy fats such as olive oil or avocados. Pick fruits and vegetables of different for you to be sure that you are eating variety.